Wednesday, November 12, 2008

RECOIL: GUNS AND REGRETS

chapter 1: my first job [part 1]
it was a bright indian summer day.The usual noise of domestic violence coming out my house,shook me back into senses..from my daydreaming.The noise of breaking utensils added to the effect of dramatising my parents quarrels.the topic was the usual ,the constant complaning of my mother about how she could not handle living on charities by her father.And my dads outburst at hearing the fact that another man was the financial benefactor of his family.
at first it was a nightmare ,day in, day out ,they would curse each other.beat up each other.Destroy what little furniture and small assets we own.Then on my 14th birthday ,my dad came home drunk as usual .It seemed like any other day.cause my family never celebrated birthdays.As i saw my dad i was hoping he would atleast wish me and give me a hug.As soon as he entered ,i gave him the forced smile.Which of course i had a lot of time to practice.U see my dad when drunk had this tendency of not reacting very well to any dicourtesy.He believed that playing poker in a illegal gambling shack,whith bunch of his ungratefull friends was work to him.he actually believed that he could gamble ourselves out of the huge debts,and earn a decent living.He was pretty good too.But what he did not realise is that his "friends "were rippin him off.getting him drunk and cheating on the cards.
I stood there in the bedroom/t.v room.watching my dads eyes .he seemed a different man to me.Like some mask had been removed,an act had been exposed that he'd been playing for so many years.....or i thought..he might have had a couple of drinks more tonight.He walked straight up to me and as i began to ask him if he would have his dinner now..which was just a courtesy.I felt this sharp pain in the side of my face.everything was spining .after a couple of seconds.i realised i was on the floor.blood dripping out of my mouth and nosein a continuous stream.It was then i realised what happened.How could some man hit his own blood .Not some silly slap.But a very powerfull and amazingly accurate punch for a drunk.
what happened the rest of the night i dont remember.my memory over the years has developed a certain knack of blocking certain unpleasent memories.But i do remember the look in my dads eyes...a look of i would be seeing in a lot of unfortunate men i would be accomodated in the near future.
i never talked to my dad after the incident until 5 years later when he was in his death bed and i had a reward on head
School was more of a yard time for me from my prison of a home than a educational institution.I never learned much there.Did not have many friends either.The few friends i had gathered at the back of the government school walls and smoked away the entire class hours.it was on one very such day.i was introduced to a new friend .who gave me a new life and later on try to take it away as easily.....

No comments: