Wednesday, November 12, 2008

RECOIL: guns and regrets

chapter 1:oscar
my first job
“so kid whats your name?”he asked.His voice seemed distant and distorted.after 20 min of taking the drug ,i still had the annoying smile on.yes by now i had realised that what i had in the form of *** ,was some very powerful sedative.Something the school had always nagged about being a evil of society.frankly at that moment i found these allegations to be very untrue and believed that not even god had made my life more easier than what this simple drug had managed to do.
“hello kid u there?”i heard the guy say and felt a soft tap on my head.”yeah”. i said\ ,not even looking at him,cause moving my head too much made me dizzy.”i said whats your name?” he repeated.”its Ryan”i said .I never gave my full name,wasn’t too proud of where i come from.”ok Ryan,my names Oscar”.he said thrusting his hand forward beckoning me to shake it.I was observing the watch and the very fine gold rings he was wearing on his index and ring finger ,both looked like a years worth of budget for my family.i Shook his hand and returned the smile he was giving.Realising i might have understood the whole police situation was connected to him,he came up with a confession.He was a very clever talker,masking important details with petty small talk and sweeping away all the facts.he told me he was running from a hit and run scene.I could make out that he was lying.But did not bother interfering.I thought he might have his reasons.
The happy thoughts began to blur a little and the thoughts of getting home 4 hours late,and facing the music began to sink in.Not like anyone cared if i had come home late.But listening and playing a mediator between my mom and pop’s fights was not something i looked out for .I usually came home early enough to lock myself in the attic/my room ,and avoid being the butt of my dads drunken anger.
i got up in a hurry and said”i have to go home now”.Oscar got up very slowly ,stretching and yawning.”let me give you a ride home,that is the best i can do, for now that is,after all you saved my life remember,”he chuckled as if getting rescued by a teenager was a joke than favour.”k ,but i thought u were in a accident so wheres Ur auto?”.I had caught him off guard.it was visible in his body language.He gave me that fake overpowering look and said”yeah that’s right…i..well just walk a couple of shops down the school road i have a friend who owns a garage.he'l rent me a car for the night……..by the way your a little too smart for your age”he said looking down at me squinting.As we walked down the the narrow alleys glowing with powerful blinding kerosene lamps burning on every shop on either side of the road
“being smart ….that's a good thing,isnt it”i questioned as few minutes had passed without any conversation between us.
“where i come from kid, being smart is considered a gift and being too smart like u here,that’s a curse………….it isn’t worth it….

No comments: